Visual Patterns – Strength Mathematical Flexibility:
I can use and connect mathematical representations
At the end of the semester, participants should be able to say:
- I can exercise mathematical flexibility to show what I know in more than one way.
- I can make sense of mathematical tasks and persevere in solving them.
- I can work within NCTM’s Eight Mathematical Teaching Practices for strengthening the teaching and learning of mathematics.
Use and connect mathematical representations.
Effective teaching of mathematics engages students in making connections among mathematical representations to deepen understanding of mathematics concepts and procedures and as tools for problem solving.
At the end of this session, participants should be able to say:
- I can make sense of tasks and persevere in solving them.
- I can use and connect mathematical representations..
- I can construct a viable argument and critique the reasoning of others.
- Show your thinking so a reader understands without asking your questions.
Agenda and Slide Deck:
Deeply Read pp.138-141 from TAKING ACTION: Implementing Effective Mathematics Teaching Practices in K-Grade 5
- What the Research says: Meaningful Mathematical Discourse
- Promoting Equity through Facilitating Meaningful Mathematical Discourse