Monitoring Student Work:
- Assessing and Advancing Student Thinking
- Challenges to face and take up
At the end of the semester, participants should be able to say:
- I can exercise mathematical flexibility to show what I know in more than one way.
- I can intentionally plan and teach using the 5 Practice Framework.
At the end of this session, participants should be able to say:
- I can select cognitively challenging mathematical tasks that align to the specified learning goal.
- I can work independently and collectively to anticipate student responses.
- We can design and implement common assessment to learn what all students know.
- I can assess fluency, i.e., accuracy, flexibility, efficiency.
- I can anticipate strategies and tools students might use.
- The 5 Practices in Practice: Successfully Orchestrating Mathematical Discussion in your Middle School Classroom
Learning Plan and Slide Deck
|3:35||15 min||Number Talk
|3:45||10 min||Assessment Strategy Discussion
|4:00||20 min||Developing Common Assessment
|4:20||10 min||Planning for assessment debrief and differentiation|
|4:30||End of Session 3|