Anticipating Student Responses:
- Notice and Respond to Student Thinking
- Challenges to face and take up
At the end of the semester, participants should be able to say:
- I can exercise mathematical flexibility to show what I know in more than one way.
- I can intentionally plan and teach using the 5 Practice Framework.
At the end of this session, participants should be able to say:
- I can select cognitively challenging mathematical tasks that align to the specified learning goal.
- I can work independently and collectively to anticipate student responses.
- The 5 Practices in Practice: Successfully Orchestrating Mathematical Discussion in your Middle School Classroom
Agenda with Slide Deck
|7:30||10 min||Gather and connect|
|7:45||30 min||Look for Regularity in Repeated Reasoning
“Solve It Like Mondrian.” Brilliant.
|9:00||10 min||Lesson debrief
Goal setting and planning for the next two weeks
|9:10||5 min||Intentional closure|
|9:15||Session 2 concludes|