Monday, November 14, 2016
||Check in and Celebrations
- Kindergarten: Had their writing celebration.
Every child read their book and the students that
were listening were a great audience.
- 5th Grade: Excited to have completed their narrative unit.
- 4th Grade: Completed their first unit.
- Observation in Adams/Stewart: S were writing
a lot and showed a lot of improvement from kindergarten.
- Michelle Observation: Great lesson in 4th grade.
- Observation in Megan’s room in K: Neat to see
the progress they have made in writer’s workshop.
Turn in talk was a great way for all of the students to participate.
- Observation in April’s room:
The routine seemed very familiar to the kids.
||Debrief from Lisa’s Workshop PD
- What went well?
- Glad to see the mini lesson as well as conferences.
- It was helpful to see a mini lesson and
then talk to Lisa afterwards.
- Useful to see the expectations for 6th grade writing.
- Nice to see t
- That we can make the mini lesson our own.
- 6th grade will adjust the language to be
grade level appropriate.
- Students are more interested in writing.
- What do you still need?
- Upper grades would like to see the
conferring piece of workshop.
- Time to confer with writers.
- Wanted to see assessments.
- Videos on conferring and/or mini-lessons
followed by a discussion
- What are you going to implement?
- It was helpful to see Lisa confer with students and
review the structure.
- Observe teachers who are a few lesson ahead of
you to help prepare for the lesson.
- Use the writing samples to level your student’s
writing and find goals for your students.
- Complement conference
||Share out with the whole group
- Continue to observe mini-lessons for other grades
- Focus on conferring (?)
- Marsha, I went rogue (!) and asked about spending
some time conferring. A good idea surfaced and we’d
like to discuss it in the next literacy chair meeting. Javonne
||What would you be interested in learning about?
- On demand prompts
- Schedules/time management
- Let’s be done with it
- Students seemed more interested with free writing
- What should we show parents?
- Difficult to take grades
- What grade does each scaled score equal?